6 June 2011

Greasy Goddess : A Shampoo-Less Challenge


I decided to create a challenge. A shampoo-less challenge. Ask me what I was thinking and I wouldn't be able to tell you. Let's just say there was this thought that maybe, maybe, I would never have to use shampoo. Ever. Again. I could be one of those hipster girls that rock the "I was just rolling around in flannel sheets and my hair looks perfectly messy like this" look.

 This was an experiment to see if that could be me.
Last clean shot


Now, here's what I used:
I took all the right precautions! 
Now, either I got it wrong, or those hipster ladies must have super dry, resilient hair because, wow.  

I bought the spray from Sephora because it was a bit less, but still a whopping $22
And the boar brush I luckily found on sale at Saks Off Fifth Outlet for $15
That's 37 bones!

Moving along, like molasses. Day 3 of no shampoo. Hair managing to squeeze by, showing small signs of a greasy dome. I'm okay, dry shampoo worked okay, things might be okay...

Evening of Day 4. Things are not looking pretty. I'm feeling very uncomfortable. My face is greasy, my hair is greasy, and I don't want to touch my face. No one can touch my face! I don't feel pretty (and I think it's safe to say that this isn't one of my better pictures, but whatever).

Who cares? It's just me.


On the beach. The sand feels good beneath my toes, the sun's warmth recharges my energy. I check out all the riff raff the beach has to offer. And right then, it was all about forgetting that I had wax coated hair that was starting to smell like a pair of dirty smelling socks.


Found a fun pair of sunglasses at the local Goodwill: $3

Evening of Day 5: An FB friend kindly recommended that I try rubbing a wet wash cloth on my hair. I took another step and did a combo with baking soda to help absorb all the gunk. It produced what you see below. The fact that there was some sand and salt in there helped with what I thought produced a nice wavy look. Still dirty, though. But I have to say, not bad...


Evening of Day 7:  I don't feel good. I don't feel myself. I am having thoughts about shampooing. Little did I know I'd actually have a dream about washing my hair that night.

When I woke up on the Morning of Day 8 I knew what I was going to do that day....


Afternoon of Day 8: I actually went out in public during this final embarrassing stage. After having that delicious dream of washing my dirty hair and then looking at how much the pieces have glued together into solid firmer pieces, I decided that I was just going to do it. 

I was going to wash my hair that night.


And I did. And it was great. I vowed not to put myself through that ever again. Although, I did think that I would space out the amount of times I actually washed my hair to every other day. The dry shampoo I still use from time to time and the brush fits perfect in my bag for on the go. Was it a wasted experiment? No. Did I have fun? Yes. What was I most happy about? 

The fact that I did it while on vacation, away from anyone that I know.

Next up a Blonde experiment. It's been 5 years since I've dyed my hair. 
And now, I'm officially a Blonde. Testing the true test of all, do blondes really have more fun? 

-fashion flea



2 comments:

  1. I'm doing this now (don't know why, either). I've been told my hair will "self regulate" in a week or so, it's just a matter of seeing how long I can tolerate my hair feeling like this. I am going to use a baking soda paste and diluted vinegar rinse in the shower and see if that helps with the greasiness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Christina! Good luck to you, I found the baking soda helped a bit, but I just couldn't get past day 8. Let me know if yours self regulates or not!

    ReplyDelete