8 June 2011

Bleach Babe: Project Brunette to Blonde

I was 19 years old the last time I was blonde. From that point on, I tried to grow out my natural hair. It took years to grow out. It wasn't until I was 26 that I attained this goal. And when I did, I thought, well, my mother isn't so wrong after all (she always told me my natural hair was beautiful, but all mothers say that). Although I did notice a collection of greys. I don't mind those little white guys so much. They add character. Anyways, I enjoyed my natural colour for years. It was nice not having to maintain it. All I needed to worry about was getting a hair cut every so often. 

Freshly cut fringe on virgin strands

Fast forward. I'm 29. Yikes. I've been thinking about going blonde for 3 years. I was always told to bleach on virgin hair. And I had virgin hair alright, but not the fuzzy peaches to do it…until I got back from Florida. I decided that, once I was all bronzed and freckled, I would take the peroxide plunge. I made an appointment at my hair salon: Helmet. Guillaume, my hair stylist, is the best. He comes from France, rocks tattoos up his arms and chain smokes between clients. He's a hair styling genius. He doesn't do colour, but his wife, Melanie (who's also the owner) does! She must be good.

I was a little hesitant at first. I wanted all over blonde, but she reassured me a full head of highlights was the way to go. The thought of highlights immediately brought a certain image to my mind:

She was adamant about them looking good, so I took her suggestion and went for it. If Guillaume can work magic, then so can Melanie. 2 hours and approximately 60 foils later, here's what she did:


The result was beautiful blonde locks. And I love it. I love it, I love it, I love it. When I went into work some people didn't even recognize me there! It's great. Then for the next test, my mother. My mother who never liked when I died my hair. My mother who has always said "I like your natural hair colour better", my mother, who actually said SHE LOVED IT! I couldn't believe my ears. 
SUCCESS.

Now, finishing off, I have to say, that I feel a little extra pep in my step. I am happy with the new me. I also noticed that I seem to get noticed more than before. Perhaps it’s a mix of the tan plus the blonde? Perhaps not. I am starting to believe that people tend to notice blonde's more. Maybe it's because it's just lighter and stands out more? I'm not so sure about the Scientifics behind it. Whatever it is, I don't really care. This blonde is officially having the time of her life!


-fashion flea

3 comments:

  1. Chick! How did I not know you had a blog? Woo hoo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes'm. it's just a new thing. that's probably why...
    might have got a little inspiration from yours, you know..at one point, or another

    ReplyDelete