14 May 2011

The 90-day Alcohol Free Flea


I've been alcohol free for just over 90 days. Never did it occur to me to see what it would be like to test living alcohol-free until 3 months ago. I have to admit that thus far it hasn't been easy. No sir. It has probably been one of the most challenging things I've ever attempted. 


I think the most challenging part are those key moments where it just seems so appropriate to have a drink. Like, at a nice restaurant, while taking a break on the ski hill, sitting on the beach, going out with friends on a Friday night. All of these moments I get little pangs. But then they go away. And, at the end of the day, I feel proud of myself for not giving in. 






The benefits definitely outweigh the bad when it comes to not drinking. I have much more money in the bank. I'm able to afford the $60 Vogue Spring/Summer 2011 runway collection magazine, Elle UK, and all sorts of other lovely European fashion magazines. I find I have more energy, am more motivated, and I seem to appreciate the more simple things in life.  




I have reached a milestone. And I feel proud of myself. I would also like to thank my boyfriend, who has supported me through this decision, as well as my family and friends. 


You guys are the best.


Sobriety, to me, has never been more fashionable.
Now, I'm going to finish with a yummy, non-alcoholic cocktail recipe for a hot summer day:


Virgin Rasberry Mojito






Ingredients:


3-4 fresh raspberries
2 lime wedges
5 leaves of mint
2-3 teaspoons of sugar
crushed ice
club soda


Directions


1. In a 8-12 oz. glass, with the back of a spoon, mash the berries, lime wedges, mint and sugar until well blended. You can remove the mint, or alternatively, blend the berries, lime juice (from the wedges), mint and sugar in a blender. 


2. Add crushed ice, a splash of lime juice and a club soda to fill the glass.


3. Shake. Garnish with a lime wedge. Serve and enjoy!

1 comment: