19 November 2011

A Two-Year Anniversary: Puce à la mode

This coming week marks the two year anniversary of when I first moved to Montréal. And the time has flown faster than ever. The move to La Belle Province happened very quickly and unexpectedly. I had just recently moved home to Toronto from Whistler. But there was something in me that knew I wouldn't be staying in Toronto for long. The Great Canadian Adventure I was on was to continue in another Province, I just didn't know it quite yet.


I was having a hard time getting a job interview. The market was tough and things weren't working in my favour. Needless to say, I felt deflated and discouraged. Then my step mother, who works at a placement agency, mentioned a job opening at a finance company. She told me it wasn't a glamourous job, but to give it a shot anyways. So, I did. And I got an interview, and I felt it went pretty well. But I still wasn't really interested in that particular job. Well, I didn't end up getting that job. However, in the interview I met the Director of Marketing at the head office in Montréal. And, about a month later, I got a call from HR saying that there was another opening in Montréal that they thought I would be good for. I didn't waste a second.


Within three weeks I had my car all packed up (again) and was driving my things 5 hours East. I had no idea what I was getting myself into. The first day of work was a shock. Everyone was speaking in French (I mean, I knew it was a French speaking province, but I didn't hear a lick of English ANYWHERE). My computer was in French, phone mailbox and even the signs in the bathroom telling you how to wash your hands. Every day I would come home exhausted. It took a lot of effort to try and figure out what people were saying. I had to tune into my other senses. Watch body language, listen to the change in tone, as the words that were coming out of people's mouths didn't make sense. They just spoke so fast, and the slang, the SLANG.
wow. 

So, I signed up for French class immediately. I had to learn French and I had to learn it QUICK. I can do this, I thought. I was in French immersion for 8 years in grade school. Piece of cake. Nope. Not at all. The first year was definitely the toughest. Sitting through French meetings, trying to decipher what was being said, being intimidated to express myself in another language and battling communication barriers everywhere I went. It was harder than I could have ever imagined. I have to say, the Québecois went over and above my expectations in making me feel at home. They were patient, warm and welcoming - which made me want to try even harder. I am very grateful to how wonderful all of my colleagues are even to this day.


I'm now onto my 4th French course. Intermediate Level 2. And I will be finishing up that level at the end of December. I still have 3 more levels to go before I can officially call myself bilingual. But, now I can sit through meetings and understand a good 85% of everything. Sure, there are words and expressions I still don't understand. My vocabulary isn't quite as vast as I'd like it to be. And I still can't express myself as much as I'd like. Looking back at how far I've come though, I have to say, I'm pretty proud of myself. It's been a struggle. But through this struggle, I've definitely come out stronger. And it's only going to get better from here.




4 comments:

  1. I am so proud of you too! Bravo! This is what I like the most about my job: I can meet inspired/inspiring people, and see them learn something they can be proud of! (Many not-so-hidden compliments in there) ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you! and it IS important to be around people who inspire you. especially those you admire. i can't imagine a world without it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. HEY! I just realized who you ARE!!! ;) ma prof préferée !

    ReplyDelete
  4. And it's been great working with you :)

    ReplyDelete