13 April 2011

I'll Whoopie your Cakester for a Cupcake

I was having a conversation last night with my sister about the Cupcake Craze. She quickly told me that it was over. So passé. Don't you know, Kenzie, it's all about Whoopie pies and cakesters. The difference between the two was a little unclear to me though. So I asked her to clarify and she told me that they were the same, except Oreo had branded the name "cakester". Apparently they are the latest fad in New York and Chicago? This was news to me.

Clearly I know nothing about food fads.

The Whoopie Pie

Oreo's branded version of the Whoopie Pie: Cakester
As yummy as those creamy filled saucers look, I have trouble accepting the fact that the Cupcake Craze is over. I think it still has a pulse, and will for sometime. What fascinates me is how it all just spreads like wildfire. I find food trends to have the biggest word of mouth promotion than of all the other categories. Take Krispy Kreme for example. The rise in population over those sugar-loaded holes of doughy crap was, to me, extremely astonishing. I cannot believe the line-ups I saw, how quickly the stores were popping up and, more noticeably, how much people talked about them. It was word of mouth that brought Krispy Kreme to the top. And I'd even say that eventually, it brought it down to the bottom, too.

Food fads can be far more rewarding than fashion fads, and have less of an effect on the bank account. As much as I love clothes, shoes, jackets and purses, I'm a real junk food junkie, too. And you certainly won't see me waiting in any lines for this stuff, no sir. But you can bet that I will try it at least once. So, my eyes are peeled for the next Whoopie pie (no fakesters please). If anyone comes across any in the greater Montreal area, I'd appreciate it if you let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment