20 April 2011

Build-a-Boy

I can admit I've had my fair share of boyfriends. And most of them would rarely take any of my input towards what they wore. I don't think it was because they didn't think I was fashionable. I attribute it to the fact that I have a crotch. And of course, those with crotch's wouldn't know a thing about men's clothes. From the age of around 16 to 20 I worked at The Bay as a Sales Associate in Designer Menswear. This was probably one of my better retail jobs. Why? Because most men who came shopping by themselves seemed to turn to me for advice.Working in women's wear was a whole other story. Most women do not take advice from other women in clothing stores. And if they do, it's because they haven't a hope in hell, or they're buying for someone else. Most women seem to think that they know what's good for them in that department. Ask them what's good for them regarding the subject of men, and....
That's a whole other post.



Back on track. For the first time I've been dating someone who is quite fashion conscious...for a male. At work, he wears nice dress shirts with v-neck sweaters/cardigans. Black pants with bright plaids. Military style canvas jackets. He even has a closet full of shoes (he might actually have the same amount I do). And, he asks me whether or not I like certain items before purchasing them. He's even stepped out of his comfort zone and bought a hat that he'd typically never wear, but when he found out I loved it, well, it was a keeper. I always used to get push back from other boyfriends when it came to clothes. They hated that I wanted to dress them and wouldn't trust me to put together a wonderful masterpiece with their inventory.


Too bad for them.



I used to feel bad for guys when it came to fashion. But not so much anymore. Lately I've been noticing a lot of guys stepping up to the plate. Though, I see this more with teenagers. I like to observe the clothes younger generations are wearing. They're dressing outside the box and taking chances. I like this. Now, I just spent the last hour looking at men's blogs and fashions. And I have to say, it's far more interesting than I thought. They have much less to work with. Not to mention that with the little they do have, it can't come off as too much.


I can appreciate a man who likes to look good yet doesn't portray themselves as a try-hard. Kudos to you well-put together men. It can't be easy. Just so you know, we are watching you.
...And we notice.
..And it works.




No comments:

Post a Comment