13 March 2012

Spend little and maximize your spring style


Spring has unofficially sprung and I am getting the ultimate itch to go shopping. I instinctively turn my eyes away from all the black and grey items in my closet and embrace the bright, uplifting colours. And, as we all know, we may have a closet FULL of wonderful, great quality clothes from previous years, but we STILL always manage to want more. More shoes, more pants, more shirts. More accessories. More everything. And, it's never enough.



With the weather becoming warmer, I'm definitely feeling inspired (thank G.O.D). Also, a little trip to the U S of A and a wee gander at Gianni Bini's shoe collection has most certainly left me wanting. I mean, look at how adoringly cute those shoes are. Ones thing's for sure. Woman can never, ever, have enough shoes (or coats or purses). But really, shoes dominate. Ten-fold.


But, I have a problem. You see, I'm not in a position right now to be spending money on material goods like that. I still have some debt to pay off and I know I wouldn't feel good about splurging. So what does a gal do in order to get a quick fix? How do I gain more colour in my closet without spending a lot? I really don't want to spend more than say, $40 or $50. I'm joking, right? NO!

Here are a few tips to get you excited about warm weather and your closet full of threads:

1.) Trading

Now, this one is probably not the easiest, per say, however, it is the most economical. I have a younger sister who is about the same size as me (give or take a few pounds). And, recently, I asked to borrow her high waisted black AA pants and SAKS navy polka-dot dress in exchange for my fitted, stretch green cargo pants. My sister LOVES my green cargos - she goes APESHIT over them (and I can see why, they make her ass look banging). So, I now have a couple more exciting pieces in my closet (though temporary) all for the price of NOTHING. Sweet.

2.) Thrift Shopping

Some people are not as open to this kind of shopping. And to some extent I get it. But, for the most part, I think that a lot of the clothes they sell second hand aren't germ infested. My favourite thing to do is drive out to Value Village in an obscure area. I generally steer clear of ones in the downtown core. As, for obvious reasons, the hipsters are frequenting those on the regular. They know the drop off days and are grabbing all the goods as soon as they hit the racks. This is precisely why you try and go to the furthest ones. Better yet, hit up a suburb. I had the best luck when I went to the thrift shops in Florida. GOLD. Tons of rich senior people giving away their vintage designer stuff like it's a bowl of old mint candy. It's a beautiful thing.

3.) Make your own stuff


This is for those creative minds out there (I know you're out there). I have always wanted to make my own necklaces, scarves, whatever. All it takes is a little idea, imagination and a sprinkle of motivation. Recently I've been thinking about making my own earrings. And necklace. All you need to do is go to your regular craft store to buy a chain and some earrings - then take idea 2.) Thrift Shopping and get inspired. Perhaps maybe you'll find a little something in the bits and bobs section. You know what section I'm talking about, right? Where they sell old jewellery and stuff. You can certainly take something old and use it to create something new. For a nice spring scarf you can go to Fabricland, pick out a couple of bright, fun prints, and get them cut into the shape of a scarf. Then, take it to a seamstress and have her neatly serge the ends. Simple! And inexpensive. You don't have anything to lose.

The benefit of both idea 2 & 3 is that you will have original pieces. Chances are you aren't going to look like every other girl on the street. And that's also the beauty of it.

From yours truly,

- thrifty little flea, for you, from me


1 comment: