10 August 2011

Les Fashion Faux Pas

This summer has definitely been eventful in the fashion faux pas department. Trouble is, I haven't been able to document everything that I have seen. I'm especially kicking myself for not taking the opportunity to take ANY photos at Osheaga. Oh well. No use in crying over spilt milk, right? Onwards and upwards, as they say (and who exactly are they, anyway?).

Earlier this summer I spotted a trend. Halter tops that hung so low that they revealed the back of your bra strap. Now, I'm all for halters in the summer, but you need to be strategic about it. The way they support your girls, length, etc. And I think the trouble most women have with this is with the front. But the back? Come on. It's just common fashion knowledge.

Take a look at these two perfect examples:


Exhibit A


Exhibit B

Moving along...

I found this specimen in the old port. I was walking around, exploring my new stomping grounds, and I came across this very confusing sight. It was about 30+ degrees outside, and this woman had on a summer dress with a black turtle neck underneath? There is just no logical explanation for this. Then I thought, well, she could be trying to protect her skin? But come on, people with those kinds of challenges would be more, um, tactful? I don't know. 


I have to say, when I talk to people about what I do, they either laugh and think it's funny, get self-conscious, or say that it's mean. I think it's a little bit of everything. Regardless, I might be changing my angle. You see, recently I've been introduced to a new project: Dress for Success, "a not-for-profit company that promotes the economic independence of disadvantaged women by providing professional attire, a network of support and the career development tools to help women thrive in work and in life." It's a mouthful, I know. And the project itself is a beast. 

Now it's time to put together a business plan *scratches head*. I have until the end of October to present the plan, schedule and budget to the international committee. Okaaaay. So here we go then. Wish me luck?

No comments:

Post a Comment