10 February 2013

New York Fashion Week (NYFW) - Crazy for COCO

It's that time of year again. The long awaited week where well known fashionistas travel from all over the world to be seen more than heard. I have to admit, the only reason why I am aware of such an event is simply because of twitter. And perhaps Instagram.

I have never been to any fashion week for that matter - not even the one here in Montreal. I have to admit, quite frankly, I am not terribly interested either. I also don't plan on watching it vicariously through a small screen. Although, I'm sure if I was mailed an envelope of VIP backstage passes I would happily attend such a sought after event. But I wasn't. And most likely never will be. There are definitely other events I would rather go to.

Speaking of NYFW, there's one model who seems to have recently taken on a major spotlight: Coco Rocha, a Toronto born, Vancouver raised beauty. Now, she's not terribly pretty, in my humblest of opinions, but I can appreciate her simple beauty. But she photographs well (obviously) and is highly versatile. Actually she kind of reminds me of those 1950 Barbie dolls:



I've been following Coco on Instagram, and I have to say, I enjoy the way she markets herself. Unlike other top models, Coco shows us her real self through social media. The good, the bad - and yes, even the ugly. Most recently with her masters of pretty to ugly post on the buzzfeed:


I know this image is slightly disturbing and a bit terrifying but I have to say that I am impressed with the fuzzy peaches (also known as kahunas) Coco has here. She's not afraid to show a disgustingly ugly face. And I like this a lot. It actually makes me like her even more. So, fashionable hats off to you, Madame Coco. You're ruling the catwalk world, dominating magazines and showing us (the real world) that it's not all roses and unicorns.

No comments:

Post a Comment